While many smartphones have, over the years caught fire and blown up, this became a major issue in 2016 with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 causing major panic across numerous countries. However, while it looked like things are slowing down, and people are forgetting these explosions, news suddenly broke that an iPhone 7 plus caught fire and exploded. This is the first such incident to have come to light. The iPhone belonged to Brianna Olives, who bought it from a Sprint store earlier this year.
Brianna says that she was sleeping with the phone charging near her head. Her boyfriend picked up the phone and kept it near dresser, and was heading to the restroom when he noticed that the phone is steaming. He heard a strange noise, and immediately threw it into the restroom. The phone caught fire when it was thrown into the restroom, and Brianna’s boyfriend recorded it with his phone. The video of the exploding iPhone 7 Plus was put up on Twitter where it has since got over 25,000 retweets and likes. It has been covered by numerous tech outlets as well as mainstream media.
Apple was quick to respond and said that they are looking into the matter. The company replaced the iPhone, and gave Brianna a brand new iPhone 7 Plus. It is also worth noting that Brianna was facing issues with the phone in the past. She said that the phone was not turning on, and so she took it to Sprint for service. The Apple employee who worked on it too, commented stating the phone looked weird when it was turned on, but it is impossible to predict that it would explode.
The diagnostic tools of Sprint indicated that the phone was fine. It was a rather unfortunate incident, and we are now awaiting Apple’s official response on what went wrong with this phone. The company is currently performing various tests on the device. Following the Samsung scandals, smartphone 7companies are being extremely careful about fire hazards.